When Should You Have Your Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Wisdom teeth appear anywhere from ages 17 to 25. However, not all individuals have their wisdom teeth removed. Determining the appropriate time to remove wisdom teeth comes down to space in the mouth and how those teeth affect your oral hygiene. If they do not cause an issue, your dentist in Clayton Heights may not recommend a removal.
When Does a Dentist Perform Wisdom Teeth Removal in Langley?
Instead of focusing solely on age, your dentist will consider multiple factors to decide whether you need your wisdom teeth out. Even if your wisdom teeth are not causing issues in your 20s, some adults later come in to have their third molars removed in their 40s and 50s due to complications.
Here is what your dentist considers before deciding on an extraction:
· The age of the patient. Between the ages of 17 and 25, a dentist may recommend an extraction of third molars. Typically, a dentist waits until two-thirds of the root forms, because if the root is not completely formed, it is harder to extract. Most third molars reach two-thirds by 18. Before 25, a dentist might recommend an extraction because the older the patient gets, the more likely third molars are to cause complications.
· Tooth decay. Wisdom teeth are difficult to reach with a toothbrush and floss; therefore, they are susceptible to decay. If the signs of decay are visible, your dentist could recommend a removal to avoid further issues.
· Infection. When wisdom teeth become impacted, they often turn into an infection. To stop the infection, your dentist will provide you with antibiotics, but also recommend an extraction.
· Impaction. Even without an infection, once the wisdom tooth is impacted, it requires to be removed. Impaction is painful but can also lead to damage on the remaining molars.
· Cysts or presence of tumors. Wisdom teeth that are severely impacted may develop cysts and tumors, which can permanently damage remaining teeth or the jawbone.
How Does a Surgeon Remove Wisdom Teeth in Langley?
The process for extracting wisdom teeth is relatively simple. Typically, the patient is sedated using IV anesthetics. The procedure takes 20 to 30 minutes, and then you will go home and rest. Typically, the discomfort lasts 3 to 5 days, and you should recover without issue.
Worried About Wisdom Teeth? Meet with a Local Dental Professional
Do not assume age is the only factor. If you have third molars erupting, or you are concerned that your third molars have become impacted, it is imperative you speak with your dentist. Amazing Smile Dental offers quick and efficient wisdom teeth removal in Langley.
We know how stressful it can be to think about oral surgery, or any surgery for that matter. Our dentists walk you through the process of extraction, and we do our best to ensure you are comfortable during the procedure.
Call Amazing Smile Dental today at 604-514-7588 to book a wisdom teeth consultation with a dentist in the Clayton Heights area. You can also contact us online to ask about wisdom teeth extractions.