Oral Hygiene: The Ultimate Guide for a Healthy Gum and Teeth!
Oral hygiene can be simply divided into 2 broad categories: dental hygiene and gum hygiene. There are a lot of bacteria living in our mouths. Some of these bacteria can cause us problems related to teeth and gums. In other words, they can lead to plaque, decay, and cavities, gingivitis, or worse; periodontitis.
As a general rule, if you want to have healthy gum and teeth you should consider cutting down on fast food and soda which are both starchy and sweet. This way you can reduce the number of bad bacteria and maintain oral hygiene. Another primary step you can take is to brush your teeth at least twice a day, use antimicrobial mouthwash, and floss after eating every meal.
How Ignoring Oral Hygiene Leads to Tooth Decay
The bacteria in your mouth get their energy from the leftover of the food in your mouth after you eat or drink. These bacteria don’t only consume the sugar in the food but also produce their own waste which turns out to become dental plaques. These plaques act as the glue in that the acidity made from them causes damage to the enamel and eventually cavities occur. The problem doesn’t only face the teeth but also the gums are involved. The toxic form of the plaque also harms the gum tissue leading to gingivitis. If gingivitis is ignored, it turns into periodontitis; a severe case that unfortunately would cause tooth loss.
What kinds of Food produce Plaques?
Surprisingly, many of our daily consumption food can produce acid and plaques in the mouth. However, the obvious kind is sugary food. This doesn’t mean that we can underestimate other non-sugary food. Take starches as an example. Where can you find them? Almost everywhere! Bread, crackers, and cereal to name a few.
When the gum is exposed to the plaques and acid they produce, it becomes sensitive, changes its color from pink to red, and becomes more prone to bleeding. What happens here is gum recession; forming pockets to fill even more plaques.
How to Prevent Tooth Decay?
The basic rule of thumb is to keep your mouth cleaned and brush on a regular basis. When you brush your teeth, you remove the plaques on the teeth surface simultaneously. Take into account that you should brush gently not vigorously and choose a soft-bristled brush. Make sure you can reach all parts of your mouth especially the teeth standing at the back as they are more prone to decay. The mouth wash you use should also contain fluoride as well as antimicrobial properties. Don’t forget the spaces between your teeth, use dental floss or any other interdental cleaners. These parts cannot be reached by your toothbrush so don’t procrastinate in cleaning them. As can be seen, these oral hygiene procedures can easily be followed.
What are Other Useful Ways of Oral Hygiene?
Follow these techniques to help you prevent cavities and gum disease.
- Your toothbrush should make a 45-degree angle against your gums while brushing your teeth.
- Move your toothbrush gently against your teeth.
- Don’t forget to brush the chewing surface as people mostly focus on the outer and inner surfaces.
- Move your toothbrush vertically not horizontally.
- Don’t rush brushing. Take at least 2 minutes doing so.
- Don’t neglect the surface of your tongue; brush it as well or use a tongue scraper.
- Floss gently as you also brush gently.
- Use a straw to reduce the contact of low PH beverages such as orange juice or sweet drinks with your teeth.
- Drink milk, water, and yogurt instead of sugary drinks.
- After using your toothbrush, place it in an upright position and let it air-dry.
- It’s ok to seldom cover the toothbrush but don’t do it always as germs will be accumulated gradually.
- Usually the bristles flay in about three months, so buy 4 toothbrushes annually; one each season.
- Check up 2 times yearly or at least annually, at Amazing Smile Dental there will be a thorough examination of your teeth, gum, and mouth. Early detection of symptoms can guarantee a lifetime of oral health.
Not all dentists in Langley BC have the energy, enthusiasm and passion required to make you smile, so take your time and look for the best match.